You might avoid seeking help altogether if you worry about your if insurance covers rehab costs whether or not you can afford it. However, medical insurance might cover some or all of the costs of rehab.
You can ask your insurance provider some of the following questions about rehab coverage:
- How many days of rehab will be covered?
- Will treatment cover alternative therapies, like holistic treatment methods and experiential therapy?
- Does your coverage only cover detox services and not long-term residential treatment?
- If you step down to outpatient substance use or mental health treatment, will you have coverage for continuing care after rehab?
- If full coverage only applies to some services and not others, what can you expect to pay out of pocket?
- Are facilities outside of your area covered by insurance if you cannot find or get into a facility nearby?
- Does your insurance provider pay for rehab services in another state?
These questions can help you find a treatment center that suits your needs without providing the additional stress of paying unexpected costs later.